With the huge success of CMO East, we are thrilled to announce the launch of the Chief Medical Officer Summit for Emerging Life Science Companies on the West Coast! The Chief Medical Officer Summit West will take place in San Francisco on November 4-5, 2013 at the Marines’ Memorial Club & Hotel.
For the first time, Chief Medical Officers at biotechs on the West Coast have their own conference thanks to the idea from Dr. Elizabeth Stoner, Managing Director, MPM Capital. Valerie Bowling, Executive Director, The Conference Forum, the organizer of the event, says, “We are grateful to Dr. Stoner’s idea for the conference and her insights into the unique challenges CMOs face every day at small to mid-size biotechs.”
CMO West is dedicated to accomplishing two goals:
1. To provide a forum to address the unique needs of Emerging Life Science Chief Medical Officers in de-risking drug development, selecting and managing CROs, leveraging capital to manage all R&D functions with limited resources, working more successfully with investors and strategizing for appropriate exits in the current environment.
2. To create a network of Life Science CMOs to form a community that can share ideas, solutions and support.
The Role of a CMO in Emerging Life Science Companies
The role of a Chief Medical Officer is one that means many things to many people, and indeed is radically different depending on the type of organization in which a CMO works. For CMOs in early, emerging and even mid-size life science companies, the role can be an isolated one, but with all the responsibility for driving the clinical development and CRO management while meeting the needs of investors and positioning for an appropriate exit. Chief Medical Officers are playing an increasingly larger role in raising funding for their life science companies.
Who Should Attend
The conference is designed specifically for CMOs, but certainly Heads of R&D, Clinical Operations / Development / Outsourcing, and Vice Presidents of Medical Affairs would also greatly benefit from attending the program. Clinical service providers and life science investors are encouraged to attend as conversations with CMOs are very much welcomed.
"I think that CMOs can and should play a bigger and more overt role in running companies. As such it is important to me that they feel empowered and trained to do so."
- Lauren Silverman, PhD, Managing Director, Novartis Venture Funds
"I found the meeting extremely useful since it was designed exclusively to addressing CMO interests. The opportunity to network with my peers at this event was invaluable since, barring this meeting, interactions I have with my peers tend to be at scientific meetings where the focus is the scientific meeting and not the CMO peer interactions."
- Santosh Vetticaden, PhD, MD, CMO, SVP, Mast Therapeutics, Inc.
"It is a pleasure to have attended a historic meeting [of] the outstanding inaugural Chief Medical Officer Summit."
- Dominic J.F. Tong, MD,
"It was a wonderful experience for me and I appreciate the opportunity."
- Greg Fiore, MD, CMO, The Medicines Company
"I thought this was one of the more valuable conferences I've attended for some time."
- Jeffrey Moore, DPhil, MBA, VP, MP Healthcare Venture Management, Inc.
"I think the conference addresses and identified an under-served niche. Nice job on the conference."
- Carl Berke, PhD, Partner, Partners Innovation Fund, Partners Healthcare and Founding Director, Mass Medical Angels
"These are great meetings and I applaud you for having the foresight to organize them."
- Jodi Black, PhD, Deputy Director, Division of Extramural Research Activities, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH
"You and The Conference Forum team did a great job with this meeting. We appreciated the opportunity to work with you."
- Paul Edgerton, Managing Partner, Gold Partners
"The day was great fun. The conference had a nice crowd and they were very engaged."
- M. Scott Harris, MD, CMO, Avaxia Biologics, Inc., Principal, Middleburg Consultants and Clinical Professor of Medicine, Georgetown University School of Medicine
"I was happy to participate and enjoyed the discussion with other panel members and interaction from the audience."
- Chris Kiritsy, MBA, President & CEO, Arisaph
"The discussion at the CMO conference indicated everyone had a great time and felt that next year's event would be even bigger and better. Please extend my thanks to the entire team for putting together such a great meeting. Your team executes flawlessly each and every time. I overheard many CMOs convey this meeting was a great forum for CMOs to share ideas, challenges, frustrations, etc. in an honest, open forum (and one CMO said it was much better than a psychiatrist evaluation!)."
- Nancy Wetherbee, MBA, Director, Office of Research Business Development in Industry Translation, Tufts Medical Center
"It was a great meeting. Hopefully the start of something big."
- Steven Zelenkofske, DO, FACC, FACOI, FCCP, SVP, Clinical and Medical Affairs & CMO, Regado Biosciences