2018 Executive Sponsors
2018 Associate Sponsors
2018 Partners / Media
We were delighted to present 6th annual Chief Medical Officer Summit in May 2018. This was the annual gathering for physicians and scientists in biotech to exchange best practices in the advancement of drug development and business management. Although the program was primarily designed for CMOs of emerging biotech companies, CMOs of large pharma and other R&D decision-makers also benefit from attending. We were delighted to announce that the registration fee for a biotech R&D executive also covered a guest from their R&D or executive team through April 20.
We were pleased to welcome Jim Roach, MD, FACP, FCCP, CMO, Pulmatrix and Julie Krop, MD, CMO, EVP, Clinical Development & Regulatory Affairs, AMAG Pharmaceuticals as co-chairs of the CMO Summit for the first time.
Also joining the Summit for the first time was Azmi Nabulsi, MD, Deputy CMSO, Head of R&D Strategic and Professional Affairs, Takeda Pharmaceuticals, who represented the CMO large pharma perspective.
Ken Getz, Director of Sponsored Research Programs, Tufts CSDD, delivered his annual keynote on discussing Key Trends in the R&D Landscape.
- How is the Shifting Biotech Life-Cycle Changing Clinical Partnerships with Big Pharma and the Role of the CMO?
- Finding the Common Ground between CMOs and VCs
- Opportunities for CMOs to Engage More Directly with Patients
- Working with FDA and Regulatory Agencies to Advance Drug Development
- Preparing for the Challenges of Late Stage Trials
- How to Find the Right People and Build the A-Team
- Going from Big Pharma to Small Biotech Leadership: Challenges and Opportunities
- Pricing Trends and the Impact on R&D
We are Dedicated to Accomplishing Two Goals
- To bring together CMO and R&D executives to address the unique challenges associated with directing and managing all R&D functions with limited resources, while raising capital and strategizing for appropriate exits.
- To create a network of CMOs and R&D Leadership from small to mid-size life science companies to share ideas, solutions and support.
The CMO and R&D Leadership in Emerging Life Science Companies
The role of a Chief Medical Officer is one that means many things to many people, and indeed is radically different depending on the type of organization in which a CMO works. For CMOs in early, emerging and even mid-size life science companies, the role can be an isolated one, but with all the responsibility for driving the clinical development and CRO management, while meeting the needs of investors and positioning for an appropriate exit. CMOs are playing an increasingly larger role in raising funding for their life science companies.
Who Should Attend
The conference was designed specifically for CMOs, but certainly Heads of R&D, CSOs, Clinical Operations/Development/Outsourcing, and Vice Presidents of Medical Affairs also greatly benefit from attending the program. Clinical service providers and investors were encouraged to attend as conversations with CMOs are very much welcomed.
Executive Director, Business Development
"I think that CMOs can and should play a bigger and more overt role in running companies. As such it is important to me that they feel empowered and trained to do so."
- Lauren Silverman, PhD, Managing Director, Novartis Venture Funds
"I found the meeting extremely useful since it was designed exclusively to addressing CMO interests. The opportunity to network with my peers at this event was invaluable since, barring this meeting, interactions I have with my peers tend to be at scientific meetings where the focus is the scientific meeting and not the CMO peer interactions."
- Santosh Vetticaden, PhD, MD, CMO, SVP, Mast Therapeutics, Inc.
"It is a pleasure to have attended an historic meeting [of] the outstanding inaugural Chief Medical Officer Summit."
- Dominic J.F. Tong, MD,
"It was a wonderful experience for me and I appreciate the opportunity."
- Greg Fiore, MD, CMO, The Medicines Company
"I thought this was one of the more valuable conferences I've attended for some time."
- Jeffrey Moore, DPhil, MBA, VP, MP Healthcare Venture Management, Inc.
"I think the conference addresses an identified an under-served niche. Nice job on the conference."
- Carl Berke, PhD, Partner, Partners Innovation Fund, Partners Healthcare and Founding Director, Mass Medical Angels
"These are great meetings and I applaud you for having the foresight to organize them."
- Jodi Black, PhD, Deputy Director, Division of Extramural Research Activities, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH
"You and the Conference Forum team did a great job with this meeting. We appreciated the opportunity to work with you."
- Paul Edgerton, Managing Partner, Gold Partners
"The day was great fun. The conference had a nice crowd and they were very engaged."
- M. Scott Harris, MD, CMO, Avaxia Biologics, Inc., Principal, Middleburg Consultants and Clinical Professor of Medicine, Georgetown University School of Medicine
"I was happy to participate and enjoyed the discussion with other panel members and interaction from the audience."
- Chris Kiritsy, MBA, President & CEO, Arisaph
"The discussion at the CMO conference indicated everyone had a great time and felt that next year's event would be even bigger and better. Please extend my thanks to the entire team for putting together such a great meeting. Your team executes flawlessly each and every time. I overheard many CMO's convey this meeting was a great forum for CMO's to share ideas, challenges, frustrations, etc. in an honest, open forum (and one CMO said it was much better than a psychiatrist evaluation!)."
- Nancy Wetherbee, MBA, Director, Office of Research Business Development in Industry Translation, Tufts Medical Center
"It was a great meeting. Hopefully the start of something big."
- Steven Zelenkofske, DO, FACC, FACOI, FCCP, Senior Vice President, Clinical and Medical Affairs & CMO, Regado Biosciences