2018 Executive Sponsors
2018 Associate Sponsors
2018 Partners / Media
The Conference Forum was delighted to present the 5th annual Chief Medical Officer Summit. This is an annual gathering for physicians to exchange best practices in the advancement of drug development within the confines of the emerging biotech space. Although the program is primarily designed for CMOs, other R&D decision-makers are welcome to attend. We were delighted to announce that the registration fee for a biotech R&D executive covered a guest from their company.
We were excited to welcome Michael Rosenblatt, MD, CMO, Flagship Pioneering, in a Fireside Chat on Lessons Learned from the Journey of a Life Sciences Leader. Also new to keynoting the CMO Summit, was Mark McClellan, MD, PhD, Robert J. Margolis Professor of Business, Medicine and Health Policy, and Director Margolis Center for Health Policy, Duke University where he provided political insights affecting biotech and health care.
Kees Been, MBA, CEO, Lysosomal Therapeutics sat down for a keynote interview and discussed the factors for consideration in making the go and no-go decisions during the growth of a biotech.
Returning to the program to deliver the annual keynote address, was Ken Getz, Director of Sponsored Research Programs, Tufts CSDD, who discussed the Impact of M&A on Drug Development Performance and Collaboration.
Another speaker return to the Summit who sat down for a Q&A regulatory update, was Richard Moscicki, MD, Deputy Center Director for Science Operations, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), FDA.
We were pleased to announce the 2017 conference was chaired by David Valacer, MD, CMO, Molecular Templates.
New for 2017:
- Assessing and Creating Value and the Impact of Pricing Trends on R&D Strategies
- Strategies for Harmonizing Drug Development in Different Parts of the World
- R&D Efforts that Translate to Approvals
- How Can R&D Leadership Work More Collaboratively with Investors?
- What Do the Board of Directors Expect from a CMO
- Developing a Pathway for Compassionate Use Cases
- Navigating the Jungle at JP Morgan
We are Dedicated to Accomplishing Two Goals
- To bring together CMO and R&D executives to address the unique challenges associated with directing and managing all R&D functions with limited resources, while raising capital and strategizing for appropriate exits.
- To create a network of CMOs and R&D Leadership from small to mid-size life science companies to share ideas, solutions and support.
The CMO and R&D Leadership in Emerging Life Science Companies
The role of a Chief Medical Officer is one that means many things to many people, and indeed is radically different depending on the type of organization in which a CMO works. For CMOs in early, emerging and even mid-size life science companies, the role can be an isolated one, but with all the responsibility for driving the clinical development and CRO management while meeting the needs of investors and positioning for an appropriate exit. Chief Medical Officers are playing an increasingly larger role in raising funding for their life science companies.
Who Should Attend
The conference is designed specifically for CMOs, but certainly Heads of R&D, CSOs, Clinical Operations/Development/Outsourcing, and Vice Presidents of Medical Affairs would also greatly benefit from attending the program. Clinical service providers and investors are encouraged to attend as conversations with CMOs are very much welcomed.
Listen to David Schenkein’s 2016 Keynote Presentation
Executive Director, Business Development
Senior Conference Planner
"I think that CMOs can and should play a bigger and more overt role in running companies. As such it is important to me that they feel empowered and trained to do so."
- Lauren Silverman, PhD, Managing Director, Novartis Venture Funds
"I found the meeting extremely useful since it was designed exclusively to addressing CMO interests. The opportunity to network with my peers at this event was invaluable since, barring this meeting, interactions I have with my peers tend to be at scientific meetings where the focus is the scientific meeting and not the CMO peer interactions."
- Santosh Vetticaden, PhD, MD, CMO, SVP, Mast Therapeutics, Inc.
"It is a pleasure to have attended an historic meeting [of] the outstanding inaugural Chief Medical Officer Summit."
- Dominic J.F. Tong, MD,
"It was a wonderful experience for me and I appreciate the opportunity."
- Greg Fiore, MD, CMO, The Medicines Company
"I thought this was one of the more valuable conferences I've attended for some time."
- Jeffrey Moore, DPhil, MBA, VP, MP Healthcare Venture Management, Inc.
"I think the conference addresses an identified an under-served niche. Nice job on the conference."
- Carl Berke, PhD, Partner, Partners Innovation Fund, Partners Healthcare and Founding Director, Mass Medical Angels
"These are great meetings and I applaud you for having the foresight to organize them."
- Jodi Black, PhD, Deputy Director, Division of Extramural Research Activities, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH
"You and the Conference Forum team did a great job with this meeting. We appreciated the opportunity to work with you."
- Paul Edgerton, Managing Partner, Gold Partners
"The day was great fun. The conference had a nice crowd and they were very engaged."
- M. Scott Harris, MD, CMO, Avaxia Biologics, Inc., Principal, Middleburg Consultants and Clinical Professor of Medicine, Georgetown University School of Medicine
"I was happy to participate and enjoyed the discussion with other panel members and interaction from the audience."
- Chris Kiritsy, MBA, President & CEO, Arisaph
"The discussion at the CMO conference indicated everyone had a great time and felt that next year's event would be even bigger and better. Please extend my thanks to the entire team for putting together such a great meeting. Your team executes flawlessly each and every time. I overheard many CMO's convey this meeting was a great forum for CMO's to share ideas, challenges, frustrations, etc. in an honest, open forum (and one CMO said it was much better than a psychiatrist evaluation!)."
- Nancy Wetherbee, MBA, Director, Office of Research Business Development in Industry Translation, Tufts Medical Center
"It was a great meeting. Hopefully the start of something big."
- Steven Zelenkofske, DO, FACC, FACOI, FCCP, Senior Vice President, Clinical and Medical Affairs & CMO, Regado Biosciences